Saturday 30 April 2022

A SMILE is the vaccination for sadness.

For my book I LOVE OUR NHS – David’s story, yesterday I was working on a day by day account of the pandemic during the year 2020. Of course we all lived through those terrible times but even so soon after it is toon easy to forget what happened.

IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR OUR NHS YOU MAY NOT BE HERE TO READ THIS POST AND I MAY NOT BE HERE TO WRITE IT.

I began the book expecting it to end up around 75,000 words. At the end of yesterday it reached 91,636 and will finish somewhere in excess of 100,000. SO MANY WORDS ARE NEEDED TO RECORD MY LOVE FOR OUR NHS.

So what about today ?

Well here we go.



Flue Jab. MMR – Measles, Mumps. Rubella. Anti-Malaria. Covid This, Covid That, Covid The

Other and Covid Booster. Jab – Jab – Jab – Jab – Jab - Jab ! I am surprised that nobody has invented a robot vaccinator. No, not a good idea.

My love of our National Health Service emanates from the life of my daughter Rebekah. I can never thank her for introducing me to such love and I will never stop shouting my mouth off about the NHS and my love for everyone involved within it. Although Beck would say Oh Dad do stop it I will always give her the credit for planting the acorn of love into which my present-day oak tree has grown.

Rebekah was always known as Little Miss Sunshine, no matter how poorly she was at any time I defy anyone to find a photograph of her anywhere that does not show her smiling. Beck’s SMILE was very cheeky and highly infectious. Doctor Hilmy, our family GP described her as A Smiling Angel.

Shortly after her passing I produced a SMILE card with these words:

 

You there,

the one reading this now

I want you to do something

SMILE

Smile because you’re beautiful

because you’re amazing

because you’re unique

because you can

because tomorrow is a new day

because no matter what you think

someone loves you

SMILE because you deserve to



Around this book orbit a number of different projects where this SMILE card is at the centre. Across the year of this book’s publication, 2022, I anticipate something like twenty-five thousand SMILE cards will be personalised by different people and given to people who need a vaccination for sadness.

Let me now share a beautiful poem by Spike Milligan.

Smiling is infectious,
you catch it like the flu,
When someone smiled at me today,
I started smiling too.
I passed around the corner
and someone saw my grin.
When he smiled I realised
I'd passed it on to him.
I thought about that smile,
then I realised its worth.
A single smile, just like mine
could travel round the earth.
So, if you feel a smile begin,
don't leave it undetected.
Let's start an epidemic quick,
and get the world infected !

To the genius of Spike Milligan I have added a few words of my own.

There is not a medic anywhere who could stop this infection, there is not a medic anywhere in the world who would want to stop it.

SMILE AT THE WORLD AND THE WORLD WILL SMILE BACK AT YOU

Special ?  Comedian Spike Milligan made so many people SMILE and has given us that poem to use as a vaccination for sadness.

Spike took his humour with him to the grave – literally. On his grave are the words: I TOLD YOU I WAS ILL

In the third decade of the twenty-first century the evil of the pandemic not only made people physically ill but caused an epidemic of sadness. I could never write a poem like Spike but I did coin these words:

A SMILE IS THE VACCINATION FOR SADNESS

As our NHS has gone the extra mile 25/8/366 across the pandemic front-line workers have cared for their patients with such a vaccination. As you read these words may I urge you to go out and vaccinate everyone you meet today. Reach out and vaccinate our NHS with your SMILE of love.

Smiling is infectious,
you catch it like the flu,
When someone smiled at me today,
I started smiling too.
I passed around the corner
and someone saw my grin.
When he smiled I realised
I'd passed it on to him.
I thought about that smile,
then I realised its worth.
A single smile, just like mine
could travel round the earth.
So, if you feel a smile begin,
don't leave it undetected.
Let's start an epidemic quick,
and get the world infected !
 

So could one day a scientist invent a vaccination machine ?  DON’T BE STUPID a robot can not SMILE !





No comments:

Post a Comment