Sunday 25 September 2022

Did you know I lived in Bletchley Park for three years ?

I lived in Bletchley Park for three years. NO, I was not a spy and my mathematical ability could not break even the most simple of codes. From September 1971 to July 1974 I attended teacher training college, a satellite establishment within Oxford University’s Delegacy for Education. The park still had semi-secret areas housing the Diplomatic Wireless Service into which we students were not allowed. It’s wartime activities as Churchill’s Ultra Secret were still classified. I believe that even today there are happenings from World War Two which remain covered by The Official Secrets Act.

Bletchley Park creeps into many areas of my writing including THE MURDER TREE and my present project MY KA IN A BRAVE NEW WORLD.

I was accepted as an author to join the Amazon Team in 2016 THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF BILLYHARDCASTLE was one of my early works accepted by Amazon. Published on 28th February 2017 it is available in e-back format at £1.99 and in paperback at £3,99. Bletchley Park is right at its centre.

Here is a photograph of the area of Bletchley Park which was at the centre of my life there in

those early days of the 1970’s. No I wasn’t a spy. Sometimes I smile and say that my Dad was !  He had some slight connection with the park then ended up as an RAF signaller in Palestine at the time the state of Israel was being founded.

Billy Hardcastle who is fiction, at least as I tell his story, is part of Bletchley Park’s secret that has never been told. To his family he was always known as ENIGMA GRANDDAD, when he passed on he left a diary which blows wide open his enigma.

Much to the frustration of Amazon I have never tried to promote my writing. My Dad was always telling me I needed to make money from my writing but money is not something I am all that bothered about. The few pennies I do make from my writing I use to help the SIMILE project which each month send SMILE cards to families with a child sick in hospital, families, children and staff in eleven different locations around the world. 


Like I say I do not worry about money but I guess I spend about £250 a month helping people
to SMILE. Amazon’s top one hundred selling writers earn round about £250,000 a month in bonuses alone. With royalties they probably bank around half a million. I am not one of Amazon’s top one hundred authors, I am at number one hundred in its bottom one hundred writers ! I have decided I am going to TRY to promote my books with a DAILY READ so, while not making six million a year, earning just a few bob more to help people SMILE.

Could I ask you to help ? Would you splash out £1.99 for the e-book edition or if you are feeling very generous £3,99 for the paperback edition of Billy Hardcastle's Diary ?


What has L S Lowy got to do with Bletchley Park ? He is my favourite artist and so I just have
to bring him into Bletchley Park and Billy Hardcastle’s Diary. In the summer house at the bottom of my garden there hangs a print of one of his works. Although I do not use it very much for the reason I built it the summer house was intended to be my writing den and as I was working on Billy Hardcastle’s Diary at the time I just had to have L S Lowry there with me.

It is no secret that I am not a fan of present-day Bletchley Park which has become a stuffy old museum. It will cost you £24.50 to visit the museum !  It will only cost you £1.99 or £3.99 to buy Billy Hardcastle’s Diary and help families around the world who have a child sick in hospital to SMILE.




www.maxrobinsonwriter.com


No comments:

Post a Comment