Friday 3 December 2021

Proud to be a Mkeneyan

Some months ago I wrote to the Milton Keynes Citizen challenging it to add a new word to the English Language – MKENEYAN. Add then name then run a series of articles celebrating the heritage of our New City.

Guess what ? 

Did I receive a reply ? 

DON’T BE SILLY.

As it is with so many localities up and down the country Milton Keynes does not have an effective media. Social media has brought about this situation. Don’t know about you but in my home the local free newspaper goes direct from the letter box to the recycling bag.


Sharing my planning for IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF SAMMY LEON many thousands of people have read and commented on my words. Some great Bletchley facebook groups have given kind support. With my plan for this bit
  of writing now complete I have had people ask me if I could share some of my Milton Keynes writing from the past thirty years. I can but let’s do better.

Let’s set up a facebook group MKENEYANS. Let ‘s here add the name to the dictionary, let’s share happenings in a mega group.

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY !

Celebrate the GOOD

Name the BAD and turn it into good.

Paint the UGLY and make it beautiful.

This is an OPEN group welcoming all MKENEYANS

Within my book NOT THE CONCRETE COWS published in 1994 the opening pages contain these words. 

I doubt there is such a thing as a Milton Keynes Fan Cub but if they were then you could certainly put me down for a lifetime subscription.

Could we make this group such a fan club ?

YES there are more legends, there is more heritage within Milton Keynes than any other town or city in the country.

Click this link and let me share some of them with you:

https://www.mixcloud.com/david-ashford3/legends-of-milton-keynes/

What is your earliest memory of Milton Keynes ?

Be that as someone who was born in MK or be it, like me, an imigrant ?

I came to Milton Keynes in 1971 when it was little more than an idea on a sheet of paper. I got off the train at Bletchley Station to be hit with a most evil stench ! Anyone remember that smell.

Milton Keynes may have been under development but The London Brick Company sent bricks all over the country to build houses. People today are living in those homes thanks to the legend of the London Brick Company.

The smell I was met with at Bletchley Station was from its kilns in Newton Longville.

Remember ?

You couldn't drive out on a road in our infant new city without seeing a London Brick truck.

We built this city on rock and roll !

What do Queen, David Bowie and Michael Jackon all have in common ?

THEY ALL PLAYED THE NATIONAL BOWL AT MILTON KEYNES.

Status Quo may have opened Live Aid with Rocking All Over The World but they also rocked live at Bletchley Youth Centre.


Another link for you to click:

https://www.mixcloud.com/david-ashford3/iconic-milton-keynes-music/


Click and listen to how we built this city on Rock and Roll !

But of course Milton Keynes is not a city is it ?

In 1967 when Harold Wilson's givernment designated an area of land in North Buckinghamshire it was for a New CITY and not a New town. Sadly Milton Keynes never was given a city charter.

In September 2020 I wrote a sequel to NOT THE CONCRETE COWS with MILTON DREAMS THE CITY THAT NEVER WAS. Within this I try to spark a dream that one day we will be granted a city charter.

With Her Majesty’s platinum jubilee next year it is possible such a charter may be granted. When I read a news report where a member of Milton Keynes Council was speaking about a city charter I wrote to him asking to meet. Did I receive a reply ? DON’T BE SILLY !

I therefore put together my own presentation to Buckingham Palace. It was a lengthy document running to rwenty-sevcen pages and nine thousand words. Unlike Milton Keynes Council I received a reply from Buckingham Palace, a beautiful reply within which it explained how Her Majesty recognised my love for Milton Keynes.

That is a love I know so many people share.

If Milton Keynes is awarded a city charter in 2022 it will not be because of some politician, it will be because of the people, THE MKEYNEYANS

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE IF ALL CITIES WERE LIKE MILTON KEYNES








No comments:

Post a Comment