Saturday 26 March 2022

Canons Ashby The National Trust 25th March 2022

 FRIDAY 25th   MARCH 2022 – Canons Ashby

This is my twenty-first visit this year to a National Trust property and my fifth visit to Canons Ashby. Compared to many locations Canons Ashby is quite small, quite small but very special. But are not ALL National Trust properties special ?

Before setting off on the fifty minute drive we took Doggie Jake for a quick walk in our local park.  The sun was shining, the birds were singing in the trees, what a wonderful day Mother Nature was offering. Then round the corner came a woman with her silly, stupid smart-phone pushed up against her face. From this wires plugged into her ears. This hideous example of technology was completely shutting out from this unfortunate lady from Nature. At that moment I decided my visit to Canons Ashby would see my camera focusing on Nature. No, I do not use a silly, stupid self-phone ! By camera is perfect when it comes to taking a selfie !


One of the first things I do every time I visit Canons Ashby is to check up on my friends the rooks who are nesting adjacent to the courtyard café.

 

I always say they are Rooks, they could be Crows. I am not clever enough to be able to tell the difference between the two avian species. But that does not matter, these birds are friends of Nature and they are friends of mine. 


Sadly, away in the distance outside the National Trust property I could hear the random bang, bang of a scare crow machine.

If it is a scarecrow you are looking for let me introduce you to Lazy Lennie who lives in the kitchen garden.


Lennie, today is a bit warm to be wearing such a heavy coat my friend. Yes, this is still March but Spring is here and with it a flight of butterflies.

Last year, taking inspiration from the National Trust, we made an effort in our garden at home to plant flowers butterflies would be attracted to. Lazy Lennie I think you would approve.


Walking around I saw many a small, downy feather on the grass. These have not come from adult birds but new born babies. I could hear  one of these new members of Canons Ashby chirping and looked very carefully at the tree above my head hoping to point my camera at the bird. I could not find it. I did, however, spot this nest where inside a bird was singing.

I wonder what that sad little woman I encountered earlier was listening to on her silly, stupid smart-phone. For certain it was not as beautiful as the bird song nature was playing for me to enjoy.

Sitting in the courtyard café I always have my camera ready as I wait for birds to drop by for their bit of refreshment.



In my opinion birds have to be highly intelligent creatures. They know just how, where and when to engage with we mere semi-intelligent humans in order to ask for food. How many birds are there living here in Canons Ashby ?  Do you know that mot one of them uses a silly, stupid smart-phone.

Writing this photo diary gives me a lot of enjoyment but I also use it to help promote The National Trust’s tree planting ambition, an ambition to plant twenty million new saplings by the year 2030.

Within my story writing, again something promoting the tree planting, I have written and published two stories on Amazon. THE MULBERRY LAWN and ROBIN AND SNOWDROP ALIFE TOO SHORT TO BE LIVED.

During the English Civil War Canons Ashby was Parliamentarian. A troop of Royalists was attacked and a shepherd boy killed. There is a statue within the grounds to his memory.


I have myself given this young man the name of Robin and his dog I call Snowdrop.

All of the royalties from my National Trust stories I use to fund the planting of trees within the project. I began my support in November last year and have now funded thirty-six trees. Thirty-six trees which when grown will make homes for birds to live and where birds can sing.


I wonder what Robin would make of the sheep and their new born lambs living in the fields around Canons Ashby. As a passionate vegetarian I am saddened to see baby lambs which will never grow old. Their lifespan is measured in a few short months before they are cruelly killed, butchered then turned into chops and pies for semi-intelligent stupid smart-phone users to eat !


I saw so many bees buzzing about the spring flowers but not one of them remained still in one place for my camera ! No so this friend of Nature who was happy to pose for his photograph to be taken.

 


A lovely, lovely day. THANK YOU Canons Ashby. THANK YOU The National Trust. See you again soon.

Are you a member of THE NATIONAL TRUST ? CLICK HERE to find out more about Canons Ashby.

Check my Amazon Bookshelf at www.maxrobinsonwriter.com






 

No comments:

Post a Comment