Saturday 25 January 2020

Ramblings Of A Silly Old Man - CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

A STRANGER IS ONLY A FRIEND YOU HAVE YET TO MEET

Friend ? No, I do not mean someone on the global black hole of Facebook !  Think about it for a moment - Facebook - what a stupid name for a website. I mean you could call it Back of my hand book or The big toe on my left toe book, even My Fat Backside Book !  Do not pretend a social media friend is a friend, they are not.  They are not even an acquaintance. I have four hundred and thirty friend on Facebook, thank goodness in real life I have many more times this small number.

What is the opposite of friend ?  Enemy !  Of course it is. Therefore, it follows that if a person is not your enemy then they have to be your friend.

The day before I started to scribble this chapter of ramble I as walking down the drive to my car when the postman opened the gate. He had a package and a letter for my home. I took them from him, smiled then said: Thank you my friend. I could have just said Thank You but it came natural for me to ass the words MY FRIEND. Natural because he is my friend, delivering mail to my home is an act of friendship.

When I talk with teenagers in school I do not plan this, it come natural. I begin by saying: Hi guys, welcome - come on in, I'm Dave The Silly Old Man. At the end of of our conversation I always end saying: Thank you friends for spending time with me, I really enjoyed your company. Like I said, thee words come natural to me and the use of the word FRIEND is genuine and sincere.

A friend is only a stranger you have yet to meet. I have met these young men and women, they are no longer strangers so have to be friends.

I love meeting people, I like talking to people and turning strangers into friends.  Teenagers enthuse and inspire me.

Speaking with homeless rough-sleeping friends make me feel inadequate and helpless. Their stories build a bond of friendship but while I can chat, laugh and fool abut as The Silly Old Man moaning about the weather, talking of my personal tastes in music and all kinds of other things I get angry inside when I hear stress of how society has failed them and how bad luck has tossed them aside on to the scrap heap.

What kind of world re we living in ?  I am rambling a bit away from the subject matter so I think I will draw this chapter to an end in a moment. As I do so I am going to end with the worlds from The Hollies and their hit record from 1969:

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where?
Who knows where?
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share?
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

NO !  He ain't heavy at all if don't make any attempt at all to pick him up, if you do not show friendship.

Try to pick up your friends using your arms, try to carry him on your back and he IS heavy. The chances are you will both end up on the floor.

Try to carry your friend using your mind and you will end up as a nervous wreck.

Cary your friend with your heart and with your love and you will find him to be as light as a feather.

                                                   

              


No comments:

Post a Comment