Sunday 19 July 2020

Addiction

I write stories for fun. I have been writing since I was a teenager. But with the story I am now writing fun has turned into a serious addiction.

I wrote THE RAMBLINGS OF A SILLY OLD MAN and published it on Amazon on 22nd February 2020. Since then during lock down I have written and published:


THE LOTTERY OF EVIL on 31st March

THE LONELY GHOST on 18th April

OUR REBEKAH on 13th May



Six books in five months. In addition there is a book, ALIENS IN TIME, which I started work on and gave up.

I have finished what I consider to be an important work based on Milton Keynes where I live. I am now at the editing stage of this book but no just can not put my mind to it. I am addicted to another piece of writing and I can not stop.

I have never written a book for money. I believe that a writer writes for himself. If someone then reads what he has written that is a bonus. If the reader then enjoys what he reads that is a double bonus. If the writer makes money from a book then that is a double-double-double bonus.

There are writers on Amazon who make millions, I am not one of them !  However, MILTON DREAMS THE CITY THAT NEVER WAS should sell at least 10,000 copies locally.  I stand to make a fair few bob out of this book but I just can not set aside my addiction to proof read and edit the text.

How many words do writers churn out in a day ?
  • Ernest Hemngway: 500 Words
  • Stephen King: 2,000 Words
  • Jack London: 1,500 Words
  • Mark Twain: 1,400-1,800 Words
  • W. Somerset Maugham: 1,000 Words
  • Sarah Waters: 1,000 Words
  • Sebastian Faulks: 1,000 Words
  • J.G. Ballard: 1,000 Words
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: 3,000 Words

Right now my addiction has me up there with Arthur Conan Doyle. I am sure today I will write more than 3,000 words. Arthur Conan Doyle, by the way was a drug addict as was his character Sherlock Holmes. My addiction is writing, nothing more.

Philip Johnson is a disaffected and seriously under achieving teenager.  When he learns that his Granddad was the British rock and roll star Trickie Dickie And The Diamonds a unique, cross-generation friendship builds.

It is said that if it had not been for The Beatles Trickie Dickie And The Diamonds would have been bigger than Elvis Presley.

Trickie Dickie has a plan to make his grandson Pip Diamond the biggest rock and roll star there has ever been. Dickie has a clever plan to make that happen. Part of that plan takes the friends on a series of time travel adventures. In my writing they have just been back to 1962 to film Pip playing his guitar while sitting in the first car Dickie ever owned, a Triumph
Herald. Incidentally a Triumph Herald was the first car I ever owned.

Pip's school headmaster gives him permission to bunk off school in order to spend time with his rock and roll grandfather. Headmaster Simson as a kid was a great fan of Trickie Dickie And the Diamonds. He can not believe he has his childhood hero's offspring in his school. He also can not believe just how talented a musician this underachieving fifteen year old is. 

But Trickie Dickie's plan to make Pip a global sensation is much, much bigger than that. There is a reason for the plan which I will reveal shortly.

The story by the way is set in 2017. As I write today Pip and Dickie will be making a journey back to 1969, to Woodstock. The music there is not what Trickie Dickie And The Diamonds played and it is not the style of Pip Diamond but it is important to Dickie's plan.

Pip is telling the story in a blog.

Here's music Dickie wants Pip to experience in today's blog entry.


This is far more Pip's style:


Pip plays both a twelve string acoustic guitar and an electric guitar. Part of Dickie's plan involves him playing an air guitar !


Dickie intends with the help of Pip to totally change the style of music in the twenty-first century ?

Why ?

Well you will have to wait until I have outworked my addiction, finished and published the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment