Friday 18 September 2020

The Satan Bug !


The Satan Bug:
In my teenage years as I dreamed of fame and fortune as a writer my hero, one of them, was Alistair MacLean. In 1962 he published a novel using the pseudonym of Ian Stewart. Satan Bug, anything sounding familiar ?

The story revolves around the theft of two germ warfare agents, botulinum toxin and the indestructible Satan Bug from the Mordon Microbiological Research Establishment. There is no vaccine for the Satan Bug and it is so infectious that any release will rapidly destroy all human life on Earth.

I think I would have been about fourteen when I read the book, fifty-six years ago. Never in my wildest imagination could I have conceived that we are all living through in 2020. You can criticise the government’s handling of the corona virus pandemic but how would a government have coped in the 1960’s ?  It would not have coped.

I would suggest those teenagers reading my writing, I suggest you all go to Amazon and buy a copy, you can even buy a copy of the DVD. Read it then write your own story around the present situation. Share your feelings, tell your story.

My heart bleeds for you. As I have been sharing, 27.724 words so far, my teenage adventures I know how terrible it would have been if corona-virus hit the swinging sixties. But you amazing twenty-first century teenagers are coping so well. The 1920’s were known as The Roaring Twenties. Broadcasting my radio shows in the New Year of 2020 I started calling these The Roaring Twenties, that did not last for long. Now it’s a case of 2020 The Year That Never Was.

Now go and write your account of 2020 The Year That Never Was.

As well as number one hits on the days of my birthday I have on my YouTube Channel something I have titled Music I Listened To When I Was a Kid. There are no fewer than 37 tracks. Let me share a couple as we work on our jigsaw:

EXCERPT FROM A TEENAGE OPERA BY KEITH WEST


Released on 28th July 1967 I loved this the very first time I heard it:

Count the days into years - His eighty two brings many fears - Yesterday's laughter turned to tears - His arms and legs don't feel so strong - His heart is weak, there's something wrong - Opens windows in despair - Tries to breathe in some fresh air
His conscience cries: "Get on your feet Without you, Jack, the town can't eat" - Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, get off your back - Go into town, don't let them down, oh no, no - Grocer jack, grocer Jack, get off your back - Go into town, don't let them down, oh no, no - The people that live in the town - Don't understand - He's never been known to miss his round - "It's ten-o'clock", the housewives yell - "When Jack turns up we'll 'give him hell" - Husbands moan at breakfast tables - No milk, no egg, no marmalade labels - Mothers send their children out - To Jack's house to scream and shout - Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, get off your back - Come into town, don't let them down, oh no, no - Grocer jack, grocer Jack, get off your back - Come into town, don't let them down, oh no, no - A Sunday morning bright and clear - Lovely flowers decorate the marvellous square - People cry and walk away and think about the fateful day - Now they wish they'd given Jack more affection and respect - Little children dressed in black don't know what happened to old Jack - Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, is it true what mummy says - You won't come back, oh no, oh no - Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, is it true what mummy says - You won't come back, oh no, oh no - Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, is it true what mummy says - You won't come back, oh no, oh no - Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, is it true what mummy says - You won't come back, oh no, oh no - Grocer Jack, grocer Jack, is it true what mummy says - You won't come back, oh no, oh no

Sadly, there never was a Teenage Opera, just this single fantastic track. Given the amazing music from the swinging sixties couldn’t someone do something like Mama Mia with music from ABBA ?

Another excerpt from my YouTube collection then back to swinging.



SEMI DETACHED SUBURBAN MR JAMES MANFRED MAN
I am a great fan of Manfred Man, an English rock band, formed in London and lasting from 1962 to 1969. The group were named after their keyboardist Manfred Mann. Only active for seven swinging sixties years but such a great band. This single came in 1966, it reached number two in the UK charts but only number 32 in the USA. I guess Americans do not know what semi-detached means.

So you finally named the day when wedding bells will chime - I was sorry to hear you say, you're gonna be his not mine - Do you think you will be happy, giving up your friends - For your semi-detached suburban Mr. James - So you finally got your man, I hope you won't regret it - He can't love you the way I can, so please don't you forget it - Do you think you will be happy, buttering the toast - Of your semi-detached suburban Mr. Most - I can see you in the morning time - Washing day, the weather's fine - Hanging things upon the line - And as your life slips away, ay, ay – yeah - So you finally named the day when wedding bells will chime - I was sorry to hear you say, you're gonna be his not mine - So you think you will be happy, taking doggie for a walk - With your semi-detached suburban Mr. James (semi-detached suburban Mr. James) - Semi-detached suburban Mr. James

No comments:

Post a Comment