Monday 22 November 2021

HERITAGE

Milton Keynes has more heritage per square mile than any other town or city in the country. At

least that is what I believe. For thirty years I have been writing about this valuable assett. I talk about this heritage in my book MILTON DREAMS THE CITY THAT NEVER WAS.

I took my love of Milton Keynes and my writing about its unique heritage and in July this year made a personal presentation to Buckingham Palace supporting Milton Keynes being given a city charter within Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee celebration. I received a reply with our Queen acknowledging my thinking.

Blogging out my preparing to write IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF SAMMY LEON I have been overwhelmed by the support I have been getting each day. More than 1,500 people have read my blog over the past week.

I would here share with you lovely people my DRAFT for the introduction to the book.

INTRODUCTION:

History is bunk ! Words from Henry Ford and no more accurate words have ever been spoken in regard to society. History belongs in a museum, it is heritage upon which society lives its everyday life.

The Leon Family came to Bletchley Park in 1883, Sammy Leon passed away in 1926 and his

wife Lady Fanny Leon died eleven years later. Now nearly one hundred and forty years since Bletchley Park became synonymous with the Leon Family the heritage given to our community can be seen everywhere, every day.

 

Milton Keynes has more heritage per square mile than any other town or city in England. When Harold Wilson’s government in 1967

designated an area of land in North Buckinghamshire upon which a new city was to be built early thinking was this could become The New City of Bletchley. However, the planners decided a name more central within the designated area would be better and so we were given The New City of Milton Keynes. Had Sammy Leon been alive I would suggest he would not have allowed such a change of name. Milton Keynes the city that never was !  Designed and built as a city we have never been given a charter for such and we live in The Borough of Milton Keynes. Had Sammy Leon been around I would suggest the awarding of a city charter would have been automatic !

 

This book is not, most certainly not, a historical account. History ended when Lady Fanny Leon passed away in 1937, this is a review of the heritage the family gave to us. Within heritage there is legend and historical accuracy is not important. Consign that to a museum and come with me now on a walk of heritage in the footsteps of Sir Herbert SAMMY Leon.


___________________________________


I am intending to publish this work with Amazon in April next year. Wouldn't it be wonderful if by then Milton Keynes has been awarded a city charter ? If such happens the Leon Family will have done so much within the heritage it gave to our community to make it happen.




No comments:

Post a Comment