Monday 29 November 2021

Marking and celebrating locations of heritage

Trees are the fingerprints of nature, no two are exactly alike. Hold on to that thought for a moment.

Through these blog postings and the support of Facebook groups I am so pleased with the level of support my writing project IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF SAMMY LEON is receiving. I am drafting text then in the New Year I will start to refine things aiming to publish the book in April. I want to do a bit more drafting before sharing the project with the present day Leon Family.

Within the project I want to have a plaque placed at the site of LEON DINOSAUR recognising it being Headmaster Bruce Abbott’s idea and the work of community artist Bill Billing working with Leon School Students in 1991.

For many years I have felt that the wording placed by Sir Herbert Leon on Denbigh Hall Bridge needs to be reproduced in a part of the bridge where people can today safely read it.

PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 1838 THE SOUTHERN

PART OF THIS RAILWAY TERMINATED AT THIS BRIDGE WHENCE PASSENGERS WERE CONVEYED BY COACH TO RUGBY WHERE THEY REJOINED THE RAILWAY TO BIRMINGHAM. THIS COMMEMORATION BY SIR HERBERT LEON BART OF BLETCHLEY PARK AND BY KIND PERMISSION OF LRNW RAILWAY AUGUST 1920.

I recently shared the story of the Co-op on Whaddon Way and explained how it is linked to the world’s first telecommunications satellite. It stands on former Leon lands and I believe a plaque should be placed upon it to celebrate its heritage.

Trees are the fingerprints of nature, no two are exactly alike.

I have walked around Leon Recreation Ground and looked at the trees trying to figure out if any of those we see today were there when Sammy Leon gave the land to our community.

A minute for Fenny Stratford Urban District Council for Tuesday 22nd February 1898 reads:

A letter was read from Mr P Cobb, Solicitor to Herbert Samuel Leon, of Bletchley Park, enclosing deed of gift of a piece of land forming until recently part of the Glebe of the Rectory and Parish Church of Bletchley, situate in the Parish of Fenny Stratford, containing by admeasurement nine acres, two roods and twenty-three perches or thereabouts, together with a pathway leading there to and from the Bletchley Road for the purpose of a recreation ground.

The chairman proposed and Mr Thomas Kirby seconded that best thanks of the council be given to Herbert Samuel Leon Esquire for his magnificent gift. Carried unanimously.

I am thinking that our community could perhaps in 2022, one hundred and twenty-four years after Sammy’s gift, plant a tree and call it Leon Tree. Leon Oak ? Leon Beach ?  Leon Whatever ? What do you think.

I am planning to share this project and the support which has started to orbit around it with Bletchley & Fenny Stratford Council next week. I would like to include any thoughts friends may have. What are your thoughts ? I live in West Bletchley but know of and pre-pandemic suppirted Bletchley and Fenny Stratford Town Council which I regard as an important part of our community. (If you want a smile check the picture at the end of this post !)

Drop me an e-mail at dashdford566@gmail.com  or friend me on facebook then message me.

Thanks

David

www.maxrobinsonwriter.com

Christmas Lights Switch On 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment