Sunday 26 August 2018

Happy Monday

Good morning - HAPPY MONDAY.

No blog over the weekend - up early on Saturday for the boot sale at Bletchley Irish Centre, I like going there but we only made £25 all morning. 

Car then packed and ready for Sunday at MK Bowl but weather - ooppsss - aborted.

Did not fancy singing in the rain !



But today is MONDAY and BANK HOLIDAY Monday at that.


Now how about this ?

Monday 27th August is the last UK Bank Holiday until Christmas.

NO, I am NOT going to play a piece of Christmas Music. I am going to play this.



Steve in Sacramento I am playing this for you. You let me into a secret - this was your first record. 

I'll play this again on my radio show Wednesday 5th September, Let's Inspire MK with The Geriatric DJ on CRMK.


That's assuming I pass my driving test on the broadcast deck tomorrow. Yesterday I passed my test opening the studio and deactivating the alarm system, That was more nerve racking than speaking through the microphone to the world.


My name, as you know is DAVID but on radio and with a disco deck I am THE GERIATRIC DJ. When it comes to writing books, yes I am a published author even if my sales are less than inspiring, ooppss pardon the pun, I write under the pen-name of Max Robinson.

10,041 words into my next book The Fictional Geriatreic DJ's story is now on-line for those who care to read it. CLICK HERE.

In the story Max is Director of Music on a pirate radio station who has just become a teenager in love.



I have not actually put that song into my radio show play list yet but I guess over the coming weeks it may creep in.

Creeping into the playlist for my first show on Wednesday is this.



Google says that GROOVY means fashionable and exciting. It does, I grew up in an age where the word was in common use. In the between tracks chat on that first show I will explain a bit more about groovy and how it comes from the grooves on a vinyl record.

To get the music out of those grooves and into the loudspeaker a stylus was needed.

So many of those music styluses came from a factory in Water Eaton, Bletchley. Who remembers STYLUS SUPPLIES MOUNTINGS ?

There are so many musical legends in Milton Keynes which reach out right across the world. In the show I plan to share these right across the world.

8th August 1964. This was the number one UK hit.


That was also the date of The Great Train Robbery.

The world-famous robbery happened south of Milton Keynes but the train was towed into a siding at Bletchley Station for investigation.

Tobacco Road by The Nashville Teens - there was another factory in Water Eaton, Bletchley, not far from Stylus Supplies Mountings by the name of Cigarette Components making filters for cigarettes.


Head south from Bletchley and Milton Keynes to Leighton Buzzard where in the 1970's originated the mickey taking pop group The Baron Knights.

About twenty years ago my writing hobby won me a very nice little job writing something for an in flight magazine in an American airline. I flew from Stanstead to San Francisco shadowing the flight crew then back again shadowing the cabin crew.


How many people in Milton Keynes today know close we all came to Stanstead never existing but London's third airport being built on the edge of the Milton Keynes New City ?


Six Five Special was a BBC Televison Saturday evening pop music programme from the second half of the 1950's. Milton Keynes was in its time a significant railway town.

Bletchley signal box controlled railway traffic as far south as Watford.

Bletchley was chosen as the location for the World War Two decoding centre as it was at the railway junction of London and Birmingham, Oxford and Cambridge. 

Wolverton Works was located where it was as the area was half way between London and Birmingham.

In the 1970's the Royal Train was housed at Wolverton.


Most know it, if they know it at all, as Denbigh Hall Bridge but to others it is Leon Bridge with a significant part in the history of our railway network.

Just some of the legends I plan to build into the music of my new show.

Every Wednesday bright and early from 6am to 8am The Geriatric DJ share some inspirational stories past, present and even future. All wrapped in a delicious coating of the very best music.

This is in the playlist for the seconds show.


There will be no room for a Sleepy Joe on my Wednesday morning show.


This isn't in my play list yet but it will be soon.......


I am going to be a SLEEPY JOE on Monday morning - I have written this blog YESTERDAY - Sunday afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment