Thursday 15 August 2019

Life is a disco !

The book I am currently working on has reached 25,054 words and sees the central character heading up a radio station in a new city development. The book does not say this development is Milton Keynes but obviously it is !  The radio station, New City Sounds, is based on Horizon Radio - how many readers remember that.

CLICK HERE if you want to read the book so far.

Horizon Radio had a sister station broadcasting from Dunstable as Gold. Writing for a local newspaper I interviewed the controller of the station and kept
talking about music from the 1960's. That would have been some time in the mix 1980's I guess. The station controller said to me that one day music from the 1970's would be considered greater than the 1960's. You know I think he is right.

Planning my own radio broadcast schedule I have decided I am going to split my Monday show on 2nd September into four quarters. In each quarter I will feature music from the 1950's, 60's, 70's and then 80's. Listeners can decide which they think is musically the best decade. As I write let me share some bits and pieces from each decade.


That, of course, was from the 1950's.

Yesterday I was privileged to be part of a small review team looking at the outpatients department in our wonderful hospital. Sitting down at the end of the meeting the lady co-ordinating everything said to me: You have not written anything negative.  No I had not, there was nothing negative to write.

Another track from the 1950's.


As we gathered together ahead of the review a lady came to me and said: You are Dave Ashford !  OMG it was a colleague from my days at Leon School - the lovely Mondira Ray. What a lovely reunion. As Mondira and I raved on about the wonders of Leon School other members of the little team looked on with a little bit of wonder and perhaps envy that they had not been part of what was exciting our memories.

Let's have something from the 1960's.


Mondira you will remember The Leon Dinosaur. It featured in my 1994 book Not The Concrete Cows and is most certainly included in the new work WE ARE THE CONCRETE COWS !

Everyone CLICK HERE to find out more about that project.

Sharing the development of this work on-line there has been a lot of interest in the chapter about the legend of Fenny Lock. From the 1960's here is a piece of music we recorded at the recent Fenny Stratford Canal Festival.


I wish I was only sixty-four !


I plan within this new writing project a chapter SCHOOLS AINT WHAT THEY USED TO BE where I will feature the legend of Leon School.


That track was from 1975. Some people think that I founded Leon Disco, I did not.  That credit belongs to Headmaster Mr D B Bradshaw.

People tend to think of The Geriatric DJ as a retro-pop man but my greatest love is for Classical Music.

My show Wake Up With The Classics is coming back, starting next Wednesday 6am to 8am. Don't miss it !

Let's have something more from the 1970's.


Here's my 1970's hairstyle ! Mondira, I am surprised you recognised this silly old man yesterday.

Before my Monday and Wednesday shows next week I am covering for Scott Humphries Friday 6pm to 8am. I am really looking forward to that. I had a lot of fun planning the show.

Here's something from that show and from the 1980's.


I love our NHS, I am so proud of our hospital to which I owe a debt I will never be able to repay. I hope to be able to repay part of the debt as a member of the hospital's board. Voting is currently taking place, I so much hope I win a seat.

Something more from the 1980's....


What is the connection between Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury ?  Listen to me cover Scott's show on Friday and find out.


Mondira can you recognise any Leonites from this reunion picture ?

One last piece of music....



No comments:

Post a Comment