Saturday 28 December 2019

The Ramblings Of A Silly Old Man - CHAPTER FOUR

TEENAGE RAMPAGE

This is not going to happen because I do not do the lottery - The National Lottery, The Postcode Lottery, Te Euro Millions - how come we have this ?  Brexit ? Nope I do not do a lottery of any kind - perhaps I should.

Recently a young couple won one hundred and fifty million pounds on the lottery. Interviewed on television the guy said one million would be nice but what was he ever going to do with one hundred and fifty million ?

Let me dream for a moment. I have just won one hundred and fifty million pounds, what am I going to do with the money ? I know exactly what I am going to do with it.  I am going to tart a teenager rampage.

I talk with a lot of teenagers in schools and they inspire me.  I tell you when this generation takes over our world they are going to make a far better job of it than my generation and my children's generation have. I can see in the teenagers of today a vast potential, a potential which at last may give us politicians who for the first time in history understand, a potential giving us a society which does not just say it cares but one where that claim to care is turned into action.

Brilliant, but as I talk with teenagers I can see they have something lacking in their lives, something that was central to life when I was growing up as a teenager. When I explain this to today's generation the faces of those teenagers turn green.

Sweet - Teenage Rampage, do you remember that hit record from 1975 ?  I am going to use my one hundred and fifty million pounds to start a Roaring Twenties Teenage Rampage.

I plan to start a National School For The Performing Arts. It will be big, probably having around two thousand students. Music and Drama will come together to produce stage performers to rival Freddie Mercury. Song writing talents to equal and pass those of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

My school will have its own theatre producing show to be taken up by lesser establishments in The West End and Broadway.

My studio will havr a recording studio taking retro pop, reviving it into the music of what will be the best decade of music ever, The Roaring Twenties.

My school will have its own pop radio station which will put BBC Radio Boring out of business. Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

We will slip Sky TV a few quid to have our own pop music channel. Top Of The Pops, The Old Grey Whistle Test and even Six-Five Special all rolled into one.

Melody Maker, New Music Express - do you remember them ? We will have a free pop magazine, funded through advertising, distributed free of charge every week to all teenagers in all schools in the country.

All of this will support our own weekly top thirty music chart.

We had rock and roll in the 1950's, the swinging sixties, disco and glam rock in the 1970's. Stand by for The ROARING Twenties.

I promise you if we could put pop music into the heart of teenager life today, as it was in my youth, our amazing younger generation will become a national asset beyond any form of measurement.

PROBLEM !  I do not have one hundred and fifty million pounds. But...............

Elton John you do.
Paul McCartney you do.
Brian May you do.
Cliff Richard you have The Cliff Richard Charity Foundation. Pity staff there do not know how to answer letters !

HOW ABOUT IT ?


No comments:

Post a Comment