Monday 9 May 2022

Haircuts For Heroes

 I am coming close to publishing my book I LOVE OUR NHS – David’s Story. 117,938 words so far with perhaps another five or ten thousand to go.

A couple of months ago I shared an idea for a sponsored haircut but was not able to build a team around me to make it  happen. Now, from the book I want to rebrand this as HAIRCUTS FOR HEROES. What do you  think ?

Time for action now words.

That’s a bit of a strange title, is it not, for the concluding chapter of this book !  How many words have I used to tell my story and my personal love for our NHS ?

Haircut for heroes, what the heck is that all about ?

OK let me explain.

On the first anniversary and the second anniversary of Beck’s passing I subjected myself to sponsored haircuts supporting good causes. Pandemic and lock down meant nothing similar happened in 2020 and 2021. What about 2022 ?

I came up with an idea for a sponsored haircut to take place in August raising support for the Childrens’ Department within University Hospital Milton Keynes. However, I simply could not gather support around me to make it happen, if I went ahead it would have been an failure.

Since abandoning the idea I have felt terribly sad. That sadness refuses to go away.

Can I start again ? Can WE start again ?

This book will be published by Amazon on Thursday 19th May 2022 – The fifth anniversary of Rebekah’s passing.

I propose launching HAIRCUTS FOR HEROES on Tuesday 5th July 2022 – This is our NHS’s birthday.

The haircut will then happen on Sunday 27th November – Advent Sunday.

My aim is to raise £1,000 for the work of the Childrens’ Department within University Hospital Milton Keynes.

As I have so many times said within this book, I have been a patient of Whaddon Healthcare since September 1971. I want this haircut to happen as such a patient and make it a project within Whaddon Healthcare to support and love families with a child sick in University Hospital Milton Keynes.

I will set up a JustGiving page on Tuesday 5th July and donate royalties from the sale of this book. I will personally promise to fill that JustGiving page with £1,000. Any shortfall of donations I will fund myself.

For the two haircuts held in 2018 and 2019 the first snip was made by The Mayor of Milton Keynes. I will extend an invitation to the current Mayor to follow in his forbearers’ footsteps. I have between now and then to grow my hair. 19th May to 27th November, SIX months so shouldn’t be a problem.

I will sort out a location and other logistics. THIS WILL HAPPEN.

But can we make it a bit bigger ?  Can we make it a lot bigger ?

Whaddon Healthcare covers West Bletchley with its surgery at 25 Witham Court and East Bletchley at Fern Grove, how many patients does it CARE for across the area ? Would any of those patients agree to grow their hair and join in Haircuts For Heroes ?

If I could find another four so having the scissors orbit a total of five heads how much money could find its way into the JustGiving page ? Could we set a target of £2,000 ?

How about ten hairy heads ? £4,000.

Twenty ? £8,000

Fifty ? £20,000

One hundred ? £40,000

Beyond ten it may become a bit of a logistic nightmare but what a nightmare to have.

Actions speak louder than words. Within the one hundred thousand and more words in this book I am within this last chapter injecting action to the tune of £1,000, will you join me 

One final thought. Every single penny finding its way to University Hospital Milton Keynes and the heroes working there in its children’s department MUST be wrapped in LOVE.

TIME FOR ACTION NOT WORDS




No comments:

Post a Comment