Thursday 6 September 2018

Buildings do not a city make

A few weeks ago Josh told me that the POINT in Milton Keynes was deliberately built where it is so it was situated on ley lines.

That's an interesting thought. I wonder if anyone knows if it is factual or a legend. NOTE: Much of which will now follow talks about Milton Keynes, the city where I live. If you do not live in the land of the roundabouts, potholes and eccentric city centre architecture DO NOT go away. Take that which follows and apply the thinking to where you live.

I've been thinking... WOW that's a first.

When it comes to offering a map of Milton Keynes Google Maps is one digit worse than useless ! I will have to find a map from somewhere else and plot in  significant points in the city.

NORTH (ish)  Newport Pagnell Services - the first service station on the motorway network.

SOUTH (ish) Bletchley Park.


WEST Tattenhoe Oak - the oldest living thing in Milton Keynes

EAST- Milton Keynes Development Corporation headquarters at Wavendon Towers

If I connected North to South then West to East where would the two lines cross. Using AA Route Planner I think it will be somewhere on Bean Hill.

Thank goodness it was not The Hub in Central Milton Keynes, the most hideous monstrosity ever built in our city !


Do you know this song ?  The Hub is made up of ugly boxes made out of - well politeness will  not allow me to tell you what !

Long before I started broadcasting my weekly show on Radio CRMK I came up with the idea for a community writing projects centred on the legends in our city. As I chat about inspirational people and places within our city I ultimately want this writing project to emerge from them.


Think of some inspirational buildings/places in our/your city. Making a list which would you include ?

I would certainly include Whaddon Medical Centre, my doctor's surgery.

I have recently changed my shopping habits. Having become frustrated with The Empty Shelf Supermarket aka Morrissons then finding the best supermarket bakery is on Oldbroook, I name Lidl,
Oldbrook as Milton Keynes most friendly supermarket. Go there some time and checkout the smiles of the staff.

So what would you name as your favourite or most inspiring building in your city.



That song has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I just like it. Have a think about what you would put in the list and tell me.  Drop me an e-mail: dashford566@gmail.com or hit me on Facebook.

I wrote a good bit of CHAPTER TWO in my new book yesterday.

Young DJ Max is about to give up working on a pirate radio station to join Golden Gate Radio in San Francisco. 

YES, Max will eventually be ending his career in radio broadcasting working on Radio CRMK.

The Golden Gate Bridge San Francisco, CRMK Newport Pagnell. There are two iconic and inspirational places for you.


But it is not the building, good bad or ugly that make a city. It is the people. That's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment