Sunday 14 January 2018

We LEONITES get everywhere


I went to the cinema last night to see The Darkest Hour. Yes, I did enjoy what looks likely to be the film of the year. I wonder what the opinions of those about me watching were.

It could be easy to say that Churchill was not portrayed correctly.  I think he was, I think the film stripped away the legend and the myth that has been built up around the man to let us see the truth.

I do wonder if the producers were a little bit too sophisticated for some but applaud their style. That style was very clever and gave, not that I was around myself, an accurate portrayal of British society in 1940, again stripping away they myth of history.


My heard did a double beat, my mouth fell open and I had to control myself not to shout out when this scene was projected to the audience.

He was only there for ten, perhaps fifteen seconds, but playing the part of a member of parliament was JOHN LEON.

Our very own John Leon.  Leonites do you remember him ?

Let's play this morning's theme then I will explain more, remind those who knew him and introduce him to those who do not.


When I first started writing my blog a year ago I ran a picture each day - Thought4Today. I think it is time to bring it back.



Here he is, our very own SIR JOHN LEON, great grandson of Sir Herbert Leon.

The world knows him as actor JOHN STANDING who appeared in films such as The Eagle Has Landed, The Elephant Man and played opposite Alec Guinness in the BBC production of Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy. Now aged 83, I thought he had retired but obviously not.

He once explained to me that LEON was his real and legal name, Standing was just his stage name. The only time he used his title was on his passport. Just as I use my mother's maiden name for my pen-name he uses Standing which was his mother's maiden name.

He told me that when Noel Coward wrote Blythe Spirit he wrote it for his mother.

John is married to the daughter of Bryan Forbes the late actor and film producer and actress Nanette Newman..


That's Bryan Forbes on the right and, of course, Noel Coward on the left.

John wrote the introduction to the little book which came out of the writing project I ran at Leon School many years ago.

There was an occasion when John telephoned the school and asked to speak to YOUNG ASHFORD !  Sir John, we have both aged since then !

Time to take the weather report from LEONITE Andy.


When John looked out at me from that cinema screen yesterday a shiver ran down my spine.  Next month I am launching a project to bring together LEONITE friends. I have set up a web page to gather thoughts, ideas and photographs for the book.


CLICK HERE and check the legends.

Bottom left of the header which appears on each website page is Sir John Leon staring out at us just as he stared out from The Darkest Hour last night.  I was hoping to make contact with John as I started to write about the legends. He is not actually a legend on the list but
his family name runs through so many of the legends I want to write about. 

The Leon family home was, of course, Bletchley Park. It was we Leonites through that little book IN SEARCH OF THE LEONS who reintroduced John to the park.

When we Leonites had contact with Sir John he was living in California, we met up with him when he came to England for a short time. My understanding is that Sir John and Lady Leon now live in London. I have a creepy feeling that Destiny is taking a hand here !

Today Secklow 105.5's presenter Tony Ingeldow and I will be playing dedications for those who made the Asda Roadshow such a huge success. On the playlist is something for the LEONITES who gave the roadshow their support.  I am scripted to explain who the LEONITES are.  I have sent Tony a message saying we have to quickly rewrite that script so we can include Sir John.

Tony, once the new writing project is underway perhaps we could invite Sir John to be a guest on a future show. For today let's include him in the Leonite dedication.

Talking of playing dedications I have decided not to just play music on the blog from my own personal choice but to open this blog feature to my readers.


Leonite Rachel is the first to make a request. Rachel, I am a bit of a Billy Fury fan myself so here you are.............



Please ask me to play something for you.




I think I should end today's blog with a dedication for LEONITE Sir John. I have chosen to use the theme music from that BBC drama Tinker Soldier Spy where Jon played opposite Alec Guinness.








ADDENDUM:

I have just been to dig out from the back of a cupboard a copy of the book IN SEARCH OF THE LEONS.


It is a long time ago on the back over it says Copyright D Ashford 1991 but I had forgotten John Leon wrote a whole page not just a brief introduction.









No comments:

Post a Comment